Monday 31 August 2009

The Aloof - Over Stimulated

A one-sided 7" which came as a freebie with gone-but-not-forgotten mag Herb Garden.

It sees Dean Thatcher and pals including the Sabres backroom boys in very heavy deep breaks mode, kinda like Theme by The Sabres Of Paradise, with a Red Snapper-style bass hook and some drug-related vocal samples. Very smoky, if you get my drift...

Now, what the fuck happened to Herb Garden magazine? It got away with all sorts of nonsense, including the classic front cover which consisted of a full-size open fanny with the text "what's going on inside my vagina?" spiralling inside it. I clocked this in WH Smiths in Argyle Street, in next to the other music mags. I think an unsuspecting newsagent eventually realised what was staring him in the face and it got pulled though... Another issue had a handy Pablo Escobar 'rack-em-out card' (you can see a picture of it on the bottom right corner of this later front cover), which got duly used for its intended purpose round my place.

Wish I still had my copies of that mag - it was a classic...



The Aloof - Over Stimulated

Buy it here

5 comments:

James said...

So much great stuff here at the moment, merci Mog

Ron said...

I went to see The Aloof years ago at The Venue in Edinburgh, ended up at the bar with Jagz Kooner discussing Haunted Dancehall, who then introduced me to Kris Needs who was dj'ing, both thoroughly nice chaps, ended up helping Kris carry his records out at the end. Good night apart from Baby something or other supporting, who were pish.

Ctelblog said...

Ah the Herb Garden...

dc said...

Ah the aloof, saw them at arches once and were great (mibbes it was the night that was great, can't remember... ) but the Sinking album sticks out in my head, great chilled album

Anonymous said...

still got my pablo escobar card